After using the template to route out the fingers it was now time to put on the 1/8” roundover. For me it was a lot easier to use the router table for this step.
The edges of the fingers also needed to be rounded over. This could have been done with a rasp or small sanding block but I decided to just stand the board up on end on the router table and do it there. Even the longer 41” or so sides weren’t difficult to hold during this operation.
Next came plenty of hand sanding to remove the occasional burn marks from the router as well as clean everything up. This was time-consuming, taking about 3 person hours (I had help) to just do the initial course sanding. I still have the medium and fine sanding to do.
When I put the case together for a dry assembly I was pleased with how it all fit together until I realized I made a mistake when routing the roundovers. The instructions called to just roundover the fingers but I also rounded over the areas between each finger. This didn’t really show very much from the outside, however on the inside it produced visible scallops on the inside corners. Grrrr….
I pondered this mistake and figured I had three options. First was to completely start over but quite frankly I’m not prepared to buy all the wood again and spend all the time again for what is a fairly minor thing. After all the interior will be rarely seen compared to the exterior. The second option is to leave them as they are and if anyone notices or asks I could either admit the mistake or say it was a ‘feature’ (yes, I work in software). However I felt the mistake could be covered up by adding small lengths of wood in each corner. To the casual observer it would look completely natural as a design element of the chest. This is what I’ve decided to do. Here is a pic with one such piece just sitting in place so I could see how it looked.
Now its time for that medium and final sanding.