Overall I was extremely pleased with this build. In terms of time spent it was one of the quickest projects I’vd done. I almost spent as much time blogging about the project as I did building it. I estimate it took me a maximum of 24 hours actually construction time for both tables. This was spread out over a couple of weeks and lots of non-working time was spent while glue-ups dried, ebonizing steps dried, finishes dried and so on.
If I was building another set I would do a few things different.
First, while using the bark tea and the vinegar / steel wool process to ebonize the cherry legs was interesting its not something I think I’ll do again. The end result was a black base and while I can look at the tables and take pride in knowing the process to make them they could easily have been done differently. As a back-up I purchased a can of GF semi-gel black stain and tried it out on a piece of cherry. It covered extremely well and dried fast. It was completely black when done. If I was making the base again I would just use poplar (cheaper) and then stain it black (even with two coats it would be done in a couple of hours). This would have shaved about 4 hours, a good amount of money and a few days from the build time.
I wouldn’t change anything about how I built the tops, the materials I used, the colours or the finishes. I am extremely pleased with them and wouldn’t change any of those things.
I absolutely loved the pelin burl and certainly plan on using it more projects.
The only change is I might have made the bases 1/2” to 1” smaller in all dimesions to give the top a bit more visible overlap. I like them the way they are but others might prefer a more traditional look.