The nice thing about using tops made out of baltic birth plywood with veneered tops is that they can just be glued directly to the bases as wood movement isn’t an issue. If the tops were solid wood the top would need to be attached using some mechanism that allowed for wood movement such as floating buttons or figure 8 thingy’s.
For me it was a matter of a few simple steps. The first was to take a block plan to the bases and even up all the sides. During glue-up it was inevitable that a couple of the sides were a hair higher than the legs. Once they were ready I applied a bead of glue.
Before putting the glue on the base, I turned the tops upside down on my bench and laid out where the bases would go. I then drew on pencil lines. I then put a bead of glue on the tops inside the pencil lines.
I spread the glue on both the top and base and then put them together upside down on my bench. This is an occasion where a split-top bench deign comes in very handy. I then added clamps to hold the base firmly against the top.
The bit of glue squeeze out really doesn’t matter. You’ll also notice that I applied a coat of GF light brown to underside of the tops to even out the sapele veneer and mahogany frames.
Here is a first shot of the completed set.