LumberJocks

Vintage Delta Milwaukee Combo Table Saw and Jointer Rebuild #3: Getting things put together

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by OregonWoodRat posted 150 days ago 1361 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Reassemble the Table saw Part 3 of Vintage Delta Milwaukee Combo Table Saw and Jointer Rebuild series no next part

I was going to post this sooner but I strained my back on Friday working on this. I mounted the table saw and motor and tried it out. It sounds good and cuts very well. When I put the top on it was a little difficult getting the blade aligned with the miter slot, but in the end I got it within half a thousandth. The rip fence was much easier to align. Just loosen the two bolts on the top and move where you need it. The micro adjust works great.

Since my shop is so small I really needed this to be mobile. I searched the internet looking at many bases, some purchased and some shop built. I decided to use the design Tyvekboy posted here on lumberjocks. MobileBase .

My wife bought some 6 inch locking casters at a garage sale for $5. Since I am already way, way over budget with this I decided to use them.
I started with making the mount for the casters

And if there is a way to do something really hard then I can find a way to make it even more difficult. I built the base with the saw and motor mounted to the base. It would have been so much easier to remove the saw and motor.
I blocked the stand up about 1 inch.
I took a best guess as to how tall I should make the side parts. I made them 8 inches tall and screwed the casters with the mount to it and clamped it to the stand.

After drawing a line at the bottom edge of the stand I attached the angle iron. I used two 7 inch pieces of bed frame on each side. I secured them with 1/4 inch bolts and nuts.

I did a quick clamp up to make sure everything lined up and then cut out a section in the center of each side. I thought it looked like a litter box without the cutouts. I attached the caster mounts to the sides using 4 screws and one 3/8 bolt on each one. This seems to be enough. The ends are attached to the sides using 4 screws. So the whole thing can be taken apart if needed and I did not drill any holes in the stand or fasten the base to the stand in any way. The fit is tight enough to keep it in place.

Since I do not have the original On/Off rod for the motor I decided I would make a mount for a switch. The only switch I have is a household switch. It will do until I can purchase the right kind for this.

I really like this mobile base design because I can add things and modify it as needed. I added a hook for the power cord.

I mounted it to the base using just 6 screws. It seems very secure.

I thought I would take it outside to get some better pictures but the day was cloudy and I was using my phone so I have yet to take some pictures that I am happy with.

I still have some little things to finish up. Like polishing several handles, installing the jointer blades. I was going to make a blade guard for the jointer for now. Sometime I will buy the right one for it.

Some of the Specs are
Table saw:
Delta Milwaukee
Model No. 34-307
Tilt top 10 inch

Jointer:
Delta Milwaukee
No. 37-207 6” Jointer

1HP Delta Replusion-Induction motor

Sold as a combo unit Delta’s Model No. 37-595

Thank you to all that have viewed this and posted comments.

I hope to have it completely finished in the next week or so.

-- Peter, A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.



6 comments so far

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

321 posts in 929 days


#1 posted 150 days ago

Nice restoration so far. Good job for the mobile base.

View NormG's profile

NormG

4002 posts in 1607 days


#2 posted 150 days ago

Great progress, they are very handy combo units

-- Norman

View Roger's profile

Roger

14175 posts in 1408 days


#3 posted 150 days ago

Really nice restore.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View steve_in_ohio's profile

steve_in_ohio

1021 posts in 214 days


#4 posted 150 days ago

looking very nice

-- steve, simple and effective woodworking---

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

4756 posts in 1180 days


#5 posted 150 days ago

Good job on the restoration and the mobile base!

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

3793 posts in 984 days


#6 posted 149 days ago

Looking good!

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase