A borrowed photo of Paul (Shipwright) Miller’s V8 workbench.
I’ve been admiring Paul (shipwright) Miller’s wedge-driven vises and, honestly, all his other work for some time.
I have been thinking about building a workbench. The other day, I suddenly realized a wonderful benefit of having an entirely shop-built wooden vise: It’s scalable. So, I decided to build a child-sized version of the V8 bench as a precursor to building a full-sized one for me. Paul graciously offered to advise along the way.
The photo above is copied from his thread at.
First, I downloaded the excellent Sketchup model that another LJ made for this project.
Scaling is easy. Bring the model up in Sketchup, perform a “select all”, invoke the “scale” tool, grab a corner, type in 0.625. Done!
Now I’ve got a 5/8th linear scale drawing. That’s about 1/4th volume scale.
Instead of building with 3/4 plywood, I’ll build with 15/32 plywood.
Instead of the main slabs being 6 feet long (not counting the frame), they are 45 inches.
I plan to make a couple adjustments to the scaled bench.
When you scale the tool tray to 1/4th volume, it won’t hold many real tools. I want to be able to lay a Stanley Bailey No 3 or No 5 1/4 down in the tray without having them project above the bench top.
So, first, I’m adding 2 1/2 inches right down the centerline of the bench. Doing this in sketchup is not so easy, so I’m just making the adjustment in my head as I go. There are only 6 types of pieces which cross the centerline, and a few instances of each of these pieces.
1) The end frame parts (2 of ‘em)
2) The bottom panel – which I’m going to make another change to also.
3&4) Two types of pieces in the leg structure on the wagon end. (5 total parts)
5&6) Two types of pieces in the leg structure on the leg-vise end. (5 total parts).
So a total of 13 parts will have an extra 2.5” inserted in the middle.
Secondly, I want the tray to be a bit deeper, so I’m planning to leave a hole where the tray should be – at least in the part between the legs. Then, I will apply an extra tray bottom to the bottom of the bench – giving me a tray 2 1/2” deep, which, since Bailey No 3 and No 5 1/4 planes are 2 1/8” wide, is enough to lay them on their side in the tray.
Lots of words here and no (original) photos yet.
I started last night to build up some lumber for the project. There are a few parts that are made from 1 1/4” lumber, 3 3/4” wide. I have lots of rough-cut lumber about 7/8” – and don’t want to buy lumber, so I milled up some of that to face glue to make the 1 1/4” material I need. It turned out to be cherry, although I thought I had some pecan, but couldn’t find it.
So I looked at my rack and selected this board.
It’s a bit more than 12 feet long.
9 1/2 inches wide.
It has some knots that I have to work around.
The beneficiary sits nearby watching.
Quick cut with the circular saw.
After cutting around the knots (keeping in mind the lengths I need to produce), I have 4 boards 28, 28, 26 and 38 inches long.
This wood is not very well milled – varies in thickness from side to side and along the length. To prepare thicker lumber, I ripped these 4 boards down the middle on the bandsaw to produce boards about 4 3/4” wide, which I’ll plane and face join.
After planing each piece on both faces to the thickest good board I could get, I put together the pairs as if folding the original board on the centerline. This should produce reasonably stable boards when face glued in these pairs.