In my last entry, I finished by attaching the top as you can see in this picture:
Before I attached the top, I roughly cut the end of the leg to size so I then had to blend the top and legs into one table.
I used my spokeshave to create round-over where the route couldn’t reach. I used chisels to cut the bulk of the tenon and I then used rasps to blend everything together. Finally, I had to sand the entire table. Thankfully, I had access to a pneumatic sander which is a beast compared to my 5 inch random orbit sander.
Finally, it was finishing time. I used watco spray lacquer (in a spray can). I don’t have an HVLP system so the spray cans were an easy alternative. I chose lacquer to avoid adding too much color. I wanted from the start to stay as natural as possible and to add focus on the design. Lacquer fit the bill. I may buy an HVLP in the future since I quite enjoyed using lacquer. I don’t have many pictures but let’s face it, finishing is not where you’ll take woodworking-hero shots.
Before entering the finishing room:
In the finishing room:
I will post hero shots in a upcoming project entry. I hope you enjoyed reading about my build. Feel free to ask questions and provide feedback (both positive and negative).