I had a little time today to get some work done on the shave horse. I didn’t take any pictures while working as I was trying to make the most of the little bit of time I had but I did get a couple pictures once I finished up for the day.
So, I started by taking the other half of the split log and cutting that about in half to be used as the platform ramp thing that the work will be clamped against (I don’t know what this piece is called). I used my carpenters axe to angle the ends of it to mate with the bench surface, then I bored a hole through the end into the bench. Then, I rived a piece off of some of the remaining stock and worked that down into a peg of sorts and drove that into the hole I bored in order to somewhat secure one end of the ramped platform. The ramp was elevated by a leftover piece cut from the log used to rive out the legs.
And that’s where I finished up for the day. Not a lot accomplished. I worked pretty slow today, just enjoying the process. This is a whole lot of fun for me.
I’ve still got to make the lever, dumb head, etc. and assemble it all. I’m also going to have to make another leg as I carved the round tenon a bit too small so one leg is a little loose. All in all, I’m happy with my progress and how this is coming together. Really looking forward to getting this finished up and putting it to use. Maybe with some spoons or something to start.
-- - Billy