I’m chipping away at this, slowly but surely. I’ve got the walkway around the shop dug out and the most important part of the retaining wall is up. I’m in the process of digging out and framing in the steps and still need to lay out the gravel in the walkway. Once all of the world’s trees finish depositing every one of their leaves in my yard, I’ll clean everything up and put down the gravel. The holidays are fast approaching and my “free time” is even more limited than usual so I’m putting the digging and everything on hold until probably February (except for the gravel). Additionally, I won’t be able to get power run to the shop until Spring so I’m going to be running off an extension cord which obviously limits what I can do quite significantly. Lights and one other thing can be run at the same time (at best) and considering the time of year, that other thing will likely be a heater. I’ll post some pictures of where I’m at as soon as I take some more pictures.
On a side note, I had about an hour and a half free this afternoon and decided to move my tools out of my dilapidated shed and into the shop and have a little fun with some scrap wood. With a couple hand saws, tape measure, try square and workmate, I decided to start my first project in my knew shop (and only my second or third “real” woodworking project period) – a saw bench. I didn’t make a ton of progress but I wasn’t in a rush at all. It was really nice to take my time, not get frustrated at my mistakes and generally just enjoy the process. When I had to call it quits for the night, I was able to put my tools down and just lock up the shop. As simple as this all sounds, it’s pretty huge for me. There was no stress about putting all the tools away in the shed and house and finding some place to put the incomplete project where it won’t be in the way and the kids won’t bother it. There won’t be any lost time getting everything back out and getting set up next time. If I have 30 free minutes, I can go out to the shop and be productive rather than putting it off because it’d take about that long to set up and tear down. This is just awesome!
UPDATE: I realize I estimated a couple full days of work to get the outside finished. It appears my woodworking skills aren’t the only thing I need to improve. Apparently, digging out and moving what probably amounts to several thousands of pounds of dirt, rock and clay takes quite a bit longer than I imagined it would.
As promised, here are some pictures:
-- - Billy