When mortising the top I did not make a mortise going all the way through the top but only about 2 inches deep. I chopped out one of the mortises but drilled out the other three.
I think I might have gotten a slightly nicer looking mortise by just using a chisel, but it was much faster to drill out the waste and chisel out whatever was left.
Next, I installed the vise. I cut a recess into the front of the bench and the idea was that the back face of the vise would then be flush with the front of the bench but I cut too much out but it should still work ok.
Finally, I drilled some dog holes/holdfast holes in the front and back of the bench top, in the two front legs, and three holes aligned vertically with the vise dog.
The last step was to glue up the base and put the top on. I did not glue the top to the base to make it easier to transport. This bench took me a lot longer than I ever thought it would, but I finished it, and it was done almost entirely with hand tools.