Okay, I took a break from the Slat clock to make a Spagnuolo Contemporary Clock and that was an adventure in mitres.
After taking some time to reorganize the shop and do a cleanup, I got back at the Slat Clock that I’ve been working on.
My plan calls for a 8 1/2” clock face and the material I had chosen is maple as I picked some up at a discount from a retired table maker. The score on that buy was that it has some minor spalting in some areas. At least I think it’s spalting. Feel free to leave me a note if you think otherwise after reviewing.
Problem is, the boards I have are only 6” wide. I was thinking about how to make an 8.5” panel, surfing the web, and came across references of bookmatching. Intrigued, I decided to try it out. I have a 6 or 7” delta bench top bandsaw (which i picked up used) with a 5” resaw capacity. After getting a new blade (3/8×4TPI) and setting it up, I tested it on a scrap of walnut. Hoo boy, I never realized how slow I would have to feed it in. I stalled out the motor numerous times (0.2 HP) and the end result was variied. You could see the tracks in the wood wherever the saw stalled out. It actually looked like rough cut lumber.
So I tried again, and yet again one more time and I managed to get through a scrap without stalling out the saw on the 3rd try. It looked adequate to my needs and I had even managed to get the drift angle right on the first setup.
So, here’s my attempt at resawing and how the face looks after glue up. I have put the pieces all in approximate layout under the face so that you can see how it’s going to all come together later.
The black line going through the face is the spalting I mentioned above. It moves on an angle through the board and seems to be confined to one set of growth rings. I really like the mountain look however. All of the maple pieces are cut from the same board.
Thanks again for reading. Comments or suggestions as always welcome.
-- Mike - Antero's Urban Wood Designs http://anterosurbanwooddesigns.com