almost 4 and a half years ago; 1500 days ago (according to my ‘blog list’ page) I posted my first blog entry her on LJ’s which was about my woodworking journey.
I’m still on that journey, and lately it has become nearly the center of my activities. I don’t get out to the shop every day, but even on the days I’m not out there, I’m still doing something online related to woodworking.
Currently I’m in the midst of a massive cutting board project. Massive as in shear number of boards, not the size of any particular board:
the LOML has requested that I go into full production mode and get her a bunch of cutting boards and she’s going to hit the craft fair circuit. well, I have ‘plenty’ of lumber, and also plenty of time on my hands at the moment, so I’m ‘going for it’.
I picked up 15 bf of walnut from a local lumber supplier, but that and some new hearing protectors are the total expenditure for the project so far. I expect I’ll also be picking up a bottle of TBIII before the week is out though.
In the midst of cutting the stock to width, I wound up having some serious ‘binding’ problems with all of the boards. I could understand if it was in the maple. I’m finally using up some rock maple I bought years back, which is among the worst ‘reaction’ wood on the face of the planet. However it is ‘free’ and I’ll get through the project and buy new & better lumber when I’m done.
I’m using Maple, Walnut and Cherry. Now cherry and maple are prone to burning, and I’m using a Woodworker II blade on my venerable TS3612. I ‘should’ pick up a rip blade, but that’s not in the cards at the moment. All three species were very tough to cut, to the point where I was tripping the breaker on a regular basis no matter how slowly I tried to cut the 4/4 materials.
My friends over on familywoodworking.org put their collective heads together and we figured out that my blades had excessive pitch built up on them;
(note, I was checking fence alignment with the blade at that photo… with saw unplugged)
I also aligned my splitter/guard on the saw better. It still isn’t ‘good’, but It is Much better than it has been in years. Once I put it on, and set it, it now stays put, where before it would move on every cut.
I picked up a bottle of Simple Green, and proceeded to soak, then scrub the pitch off of the teeth. Evidently, the normal concentrated formula is not good for saw blades, only the kind the orange borg sells is good for them, but I hadn’t read that, so I used the ‘standard’ version. HOpefully one application won’t affect my blades too much.
I still need to tweak the fence a bit, think I’ll do that in the morning after the LOML heads off to work.
I’m getting a pretty serious gap problem still, not quite to this extent, but noticable:
I’m pleased to report that after a good cleaning, my blades now look like this:
Here’s the stack of lumber, midway through planing to thickness.
Next I will be finishing up getting them to smooth, then will do the usual glue up, cut apart, etc… on them.
Project photos once I get them to ‘finished’ status.
-- Ned - 2B1ASK1 http://nedswoodshop.blogspot.com