With all the joists leveled out it was time to start laying out the deck. I started with the points of the star.
Here its all cut out but not screwed down.
I used the Kreg Hidden Deck Fastener System. I really like the system! It is very well designed and thought through. You do have to be careful you do not over bore your pocket holes or over drive your screws. The composite decking can also shift so it is easy to run out of square and true, but that is not the systems fault, it is a by product of working with the decking.
Once I got the first few points screwed down I started on the apron.
I didn’t square up the compass because I wanted it to pop visually. That bent it was going to be a lot of cutting and fitting. Again, the Festool Plunge Saw really allowed me to do this so much easier than any other method!
I used a 2×10 as a my table support and cut all my boards on that with the tracks on top.
As you can probably tell, the ends closest to the compass are irregular. I cut them so that once every thing was down I could go back with the track saw and make one nice straight line. Thats much easier than trying to line up every board.
I cannot boast that I did it all on my own. I had help! It was nice that when my wife was feeling better she came out and helped a few times, and of coarse my elves helped. We got Kale a Rockwell Thrill for Christmas. (I have to say that little thing is super powerful) He loves working.
And work continues!
Here you can see the deflection I mentioned earlier. The Choice Decking tended to compress or bend if I or Theresa were not careful in how we screwed the board down. It would tend to pinch the spacers of the Kreg jig which should have been a big clue to me something wasn’t going right. I ended up with a 1/4 in deflection/variation. I had to go back to the third row and fix each variated spot in each run! NOT FUN!! I HATE DOING THINGS TWICE!!! But as I said this is not the Kreg jigs fault, it is actually the decks fault. I don’t believe I would have had this problem with wood or even the Trex as it was a much harder material.
Once it was fixed it was much better and was much smoother sailing from then on. I also forgot to mention That I routed a round over on the exposed edge of all the ends of each board. Life is in the details.
With the compass decking completed now is the time to go back with the track saw and router and clean it up!
Thank you for reading!!
More to Follow…
-- "With a little bit of faith, and some imagination, you can build anything!" Nate