Since I was on water, I decided to stick with it and just finish that phase. I had another section where another electrical line was going to cross a water line and I figured there was no time like the present.
I hit my Ag Well line with the trencher preparing for this new line, so I had to dig down to and around the broken section.
Then I had about 60 feet of trench that I had to dig by hand, which much of kept caving in, and another 40 that the trencher had made that I had to cleanup.
The trench was 4 feet deep and I laid in 2in PVC for the water line. I then added three frost free faucets along the side of the barn.
I then moved right next to the Ag Well itself and put in the final faucet.
With all the faucets in place, the last plumbing up grade that needed to be down was to change the house feed line. When I was digging the electrical trench to the house well I found the house water line. It was using old polybutylene pipe. That stuff is terrible. I decided to upgrade to 1in PVC. I had to dig a new trench for the water line and again I had to use the bucket and shovel.
The trench to the house was interrupted by a concrete sidewalk, so I had to use a dirt drill to make a hole for the pipe.
Once the hole was cut all the way through, squeezed a complete section of pipe in. It was nice to not have an un-need joint.
While I was working in the well, the temporary stick that was holding the lid broke and the lid came down on me, trapping me in the well. Thankfully, my oldest son and myself were able to get the lid up enough so I could climb out. I decided that was an experience I never wanted to have again, so I took a rabbit trail and built these quick stands. I added small brackets at the feet with eye-bolts to keep the wind from coming and ripping it the other way, which has also happened. I secured the eye-bolts with framing wire so I would not lose them.
So, with that done and the house plumbing line switched out, you would think alls well right? WRONG! We live in a early 60s mobile with galvanized pipes. The iron in our water has been interacting with the galvanized pipes since the water was introduced. The added flow of the one inch PVC knocked a bunch of the built up lose and clogged every single fixture in our house: sinks, toilets and showers. I tried back flushing them but to no avail.
So I spent the next two days re-plumbing our whole house using pex pipe. I was working so feverishly that I did not get photos. I had to were a respirator under the house as there was so much unpleasantness. I cut out all the old galvanized and replaced it with pex. Now we have great water pressure.
When I looked at what I was cutting out, I was pretty unhappy. I couldn’t believe we were living with it. There were sections that were only letting a toothpick size hole of water through. Most frustrating is that three years ago, before we bought the place we had a plumber come out and fix a few leaks. He said the whole thing should be replaced. Our real estate agent, wanted a second opinion, stupidly we agreed. The next guy was like, ” No I can make it work.” Even more stupidly is I didn’t ask to see the damage. Here is a picture of his repair onto our old pipe.
And the inside!
Here is the rest!
No that I am done with that, I can get back to the electrical:). I am glad it happened while I am already working on everything. As you can see, it was going to happen sooner or later! But after two 18 hour work days, I had the worst headache and I slept for almost 24 hours.
More to follow….
-- "With a little bit of faith, and some imagination, you can build anything!" Nate