My intention was to complete the Leviathan in this run but just a warning…it will take one more installment.
Once the glue had set for 24hours I was free to play with the parts. I laid out the monster as I wanted him and then began to construct the ocean around him.
Once I was happy with the lines, I grabbed my dremel and attached it to the Stewart Macdonald router base (the best base in the world for inlay work!!!) I used an down spiral 1/16 wide solid carbide bit.
The only bummer part about using a down spiral is that it compresses the chips into the cavity, so it takes some work to get them out on a channel this size. I could not find my air nozzle which would have taken care of the problem in seconds. However, the down spiral is worth the work because it does not tear out and it leaves absolutely the best edge!
I only routed out one color section at a time, that way I could avoid accidental mixing.
Once routed and cleaned, I mixed up some white Inlace with about 1/4 ounce of Silver Metal Dust, then began to inlay it in the lines.
I needed to block up the grout lines to keep the Inlace from flowing out the of the lines.
I pulled the plugs out after about 30 minutes to keep the Inlace from bonding to them.
After the Inlace dried for 24 hours I routed the next color of Inlace lines.
I cleaned them out!
And started to inlay the next color…Turquoise!
After 30 minutes I pulled the plugs again! And then I let it dry for 24 hours.
I needed to wait to pick up the final color, but I still wanted to continue to work. Thankfully it worked out that these lines were not close to the Leviathans body so I could start routing out the cavities for the Monster itself!
I still needed to wait for the final color of Inlace. I had plans to add a moon so I moved on to that. My first moon turned out to be too much like a comic book picture. I really did not like it at all. So I went to the internet, pulled a picture of our real moon and made one up out of Pine and American Holly!
I finally was able to get the final Inlace color…Lindsey…so I could inlay that next!
This is the Inlace that I used!
Everything is now inlaid and glued in…now it is a waiting game again. The glue takes up to 48hours to cure. It is important that it is cured before I start sanding it down!
After two days, I started sanding with my belt sander, but it was clear right away that I needed to use the big drum sander!
I was really disappointed with the way the inlays turned out! I was hoping turquoise would turn out darker. Thankfully I had some stain that I was going to use elsewhere in the floor so I had something to fall back onto. I actually really like how it is coming along.
I still have about three or four layers of stain to put on plus I am going to use black stain to transform the sky into night!
So…more to follow:)....
-- "With a little bit of faith, and some imagination, you can build anything!" Nate