Originally I was going to blog the Leviathan in one section, but I have realized that it would be a terribly long blog as the project is not even done yet. So I will break it up into sections and it will be easier to understand and follow, especially for me:)!!
The first step was to draw something up. I researched on line and studied old maps and there really was no standard. They ranged from huge octopuses to sharks to weird fish looking things with arms. There were plenty of Sea Monsters in the old maps though that were Sea Serpents, and so I decided that is what I was going to do! (this step actually took place in year two of the three years so far, during the inspired stage:) )
I new right away I wanted to use Snakewood for the body and kept an eye out for the perfect piece at my favorite wood supplier for exotic wood, Cookwoods.com.
It acclimatized to the shop for about 8 months before I resawed it to begin the project.
(Note: The Laguna 16HD with the Resaw King Blade is an awesome machine. I have resawn hundreds of board feet already on this monster and she never complains or backs down. The Resaw King leaves a smooth finish, just like it came off a planner!)
I next had to figure out what to do for the chest, head, teeth, and spine. I knew the eyes were going to be ebony and a red wood of some kind. I was thinking holly for the teeth. But for the belly or chest I wanted something like scales or armor. So I considered brass but didn’t like to solid uniform color of it. So then I considered Gold Abalone. I really did not like the color of it for this project. I fell upon Black Mother of Pearl and was instantly struck. I found my medium! I ordered what I needed and then considered White Mother of Pearl for the teeth. I was struck again and was on a roll.
When it arrive, I sorted the blanks into stacks of 5, the height of 5/16 of an inch (Remember they are going in a floor that is going to be sanded, probably the top layer is going to be taken away by the first sanding. From then on it is just a matter of wear and tear and later refinishings, which I don’t plan to be alive for…not that I dying early, but that it won’t be refinished in my lifetime:) .)I did not try and control pattern selection as it would be impossible to line up every blank and control the waste. So I mixed up some 60min epoxy and glued them together.
Then I waited for the glue to dry and cure completely, which was 24 hours.
More to follow…
-- "With a little bit of faith, and some imagination, you can build anything!" Nate