With all the tile work done its was time to move on to the details. The first inlay that I decided to work on was the Old Sailing Ship. I searched high and low for a good scroll saw, marquetry pattern that would work, but as many of you know, there just isn’t that many out there. The ones that are out there are not suitable for this project. So I had to find a picture and make my own pattern. It took awhile but I finally found one I liked on the web. I made my pattern and used patternresizer.com to make it larger.
I new I wanted to do a ship so I ordered some Blue Mahoe from Catherine at CookWoods.com awhile back so it has had plenty of time to acclimate to the shop. Blue Mahoe is the the worlds only naturally growing blue wood. There are others that are blue but they are caused by fungi. Blue Mahoe is from the Caribbean. It has a peppery sent when cut and is alittle stringy but it is a beautiful wood and has become one of my favorites.
I cut the water out of Blue Mahoe and Blue Pine. (I was lucky enough to get some tight grain Blue Pine from a pallet but it does grow here to, my father has several timbers in his house) I cut the ship from Blue Mahoe, Katalox, Cherry, Ebonized Madrone and Holly. Everything was resawn down to 5/16in thick on order to be glued down to 1/2in Baltic Birch Plywood. This size keeps the wood stable and insures that it will stay in place throughout any season.
I actually maxed out my new saw the first month I had it:).
I had to take the whole ship to the saw and make a fix cut as I forgot a part!
Once I was finishing the ship out I had to cut out the Birch Plywood substrate and get the ship glued to it. I used Gorilla Polyurethane glue because of its holding strength and foaming attributes. It would foam up and fill the small undulations and variations of each of the differing parts.
I did have to go back and use a razor blade to cut off the foam that oozed out.
I then marked out the ship and used the same down spiral router bit to cut out its shape as I did for the “lands and islands”. (Remember it needs to be down spiral in order to avoid tear out)
I then had to take out all the waste wood.
Because it takes at least two passes to cut through the floor, the side is often uneven. Before I could glue the ship in I had to clean them all up with a carving gouge.
Once everything was cleaned up the ship was ready to be glued in. I used Titebond Construction Adhesive.
And here she is…
And here she is with cables drawn on. I was not able to inlay them yet. I have to wait to until I sand down the entire floor, then I can use my 1/32 router bit in my Dremel and Stewmac base.
Next, I will detail the Leviathan, or Sea Monster…but I have to finish it:)
More to follow soon…
-- "With a little bit of faith, and some imagination, you can build anything!" Nate