With all the small tile work done it was time for me to begin work on the border. I had been collecting Katalox lumber from Cookwoods.com over time and letting it acclimate to the shop as I worked on the tile. I still had to lay down the Birch Plywood and Resaw it before I could work with it.
I wanted to cut it at 5/16in thick and laminate it to 1/2 in Baltic Birch plywood. This wood extend the beauty of the wood as well as give it more stability.
First I had to resaw it all on my Laguna 16HD…
(My Shopvac broke down and that is why you see all the sawdust. Normally you only see about 10% of that when it is hooked up to the dust port.)
Because it is my shop floor that I am working on, my bandsaw currently resides at my fathers house, which is only two miles away. (After I got out of the hospital, we decided to move home to be closer to family for many reasons. Family is important! But they also help my wife with the boys on my bad days.)
As soon as I got home I then had to lay everything out,. Yes, so it could finish acclimating but also when I started laying the boarder I could look up and refer to them like a painter does his paints.
Before I could start that process however I had to draw out exactly what I wanted.
Then I had to cut out the 1/2in 9ply Baltic Birch Plywood strips on my Safety Speed Cut H4 Panel Saw and glue and screw them down.
With the plywood underlayment down, I could start laying the Katalox. I wanted the white sapwood to represent the “Beach” of the ocean, essentially containing the sailing map within the border in itself. It took allot of time matching and bookmatching to get a continual seem of beach line, but it was worth it.
I would lay on oversized boards and then trim them down with the track saw.
I had one mess up in the sap wood that I had to fix…
But that was all…
With all the Katalox down, I needed to cut the rebate for the rope inlay banding that was going on the exterior of the border. I had contacted Matt at Inlaybanding.com to make me some 1/8in Maple and Black Walnut rope inlay banding a few months back so it was ready to go. I just didn’t have the set up to do it and Matts work is superior to anything I could have done! I wanted the rope banding because I have seen that design on many old sailing maps.
Then I started laying the banding using Hot Stuff CA Glue. CA Glue when covering the entire area has an incredible bond and PSI rating! I forget the numbers now but it is not that far below epoxy, however it is more brittle. But in this instance I was not worried about that. I covered the whole rebate and went to work. I glued my figures together several times so I strongly suggest the solvent!
At the East and West points of the Start I had the banding change direction.
Overall, I am very happy with the result. It looks very similar to the old maps I have studied.
More to follow…
-- "With a little bit of faith, and some imagination, you can build anything!" Nate