I finally completed my first chair using Hal’s updated plans and book. Having already built 8 other chairs I did not read the new book cover to cover so I cannot comment on the contents of the book. There is a lot more detail and some of the hazy areas from the first book were definitely cleared up with better description and more pictures.
The primary design differences are the arm shape, the arm to front leg joint now gets an adder piece that needs to be carved down and shaped and the front leg shape is different. It might just be me but it looks like the front leg sits farther out from the seat and more transition joint exists now.
I found that I did not want to take the time to redo any of my jigs and referred back to the original book for using my arm carving jig, the new jig just requires a guide fence perpendicular to the saw blade while the old design has a guide fence at a different angle. Maybe when I have some free time I will modify my existing jigs to the new style.
There are more glue-ups required so if you were in a time crunch then more planning must be taken into what is done each day in case a filler piece must be added (filler pieces are now added to the arm joint on the back leg and the top of the front leg where the arm attaches).
All-in-all I liked the new design and will continue with it as a baseline for all my future chairs.
Here is the project of the completed chair.
-- Rich, WNY, www.nyrockingchairs.com