The base for the first bench is now assembled, this took a lot longer than I had thought it would due to the fact that my shop floor is not completely flat and I wanted the bench as flat as possible. I spent a lot of time adjusting the alignment of the joints. My cuts and previous assemblies appear to be square/flat, just the floor is out of wack.
The first step was making sure the end assemblies would stand up on there own.
Clamping the long cross members to get them square.
After clamping I drilled the 3/8” holes for the bolts that hold the cross members in place. I did one corner at a time rechecking for square every step of the way. Once the holes were drilled I bolted it to hold it from moving while I did the rest.
Each joint is labeled so that if I ever take it apart I can get it back together in the same order and therefore hopefully square again. Each joint has the alignment line and a letter.
Assembled base, I still need to put the blocks below the lower cross members to complete the legs, they look pretty puny in the picture.
- Add a lower shelf by screwing in some cleats to support support it, the shelf will sit flush with the lower cross member.
- Finalize how I will attach the top and get it attached
I will probably ease the exposed edges with a slight chamfer so they are not as sharp and less prone to damage.
The 2 benches that I am building after this one to complete the back wall of my shop will not have the front cross member on the bottom or a shelf so I can park other things under them. Until completing this assembly, I was worried that it would not be stable. I am now fairly confident that it will be solid unless I make a mistake cutting it or putting it together.
Thanks for looking
-- "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein