1. the plan box with the plain edges with rabbit cuts is nice and clean looking on the front. I like that.
2. the little box with its uneven box joints is rustic looking and as Dick stated – “antique-ish”.
3. I took the first box, however, and rounded the corners to see what that would look like, and I don’t like it for this style. It is too formal, too modern, too .. not rustic.
4. the second box has some really good joints, some which I’d call almost perfect, and although they are great joints, after reading everyone’s feedback, I think I like the non-perfect fits better. The imperfection adds to the rustic, natural look that I’m drawn too.
5. Finishing: I have the tray finished with an oil and then waxed. It’s very rich in colour but I prefer the more mellow look of the unfinished wood. I have the small box unfinished – natural. I like it. And the second box has just some wax on the top. This is my preference: the mellow colour is still there but it is more enhanced and it feels nice!
And now I have to put this all together in another box project. Don’t know what that will be, yet. Perhaps this afternoon I’ll find another pattern.
(Oh, and of course I’ve been challenged to throw some carving onto it … that will be interesting!!)
-- ~ Debbie, Canada (http://www.execulink.com/~yohan)