Yesterday was my day to make presents for my kids… (didn’t really happen). I just can’t think of the right gifts to make and then when I get an idea I need to print a pattern and my printer isn’t working right now, so frustration sets in and I go do housework instead. (See how frustrated I am??? I did housework – by choice and not by necessity!! That’s scary).
But I had to make something…. something….
So down to the shop I went to listen to the spirits of the wood saying “pick me… gift me”.... The strategy worked because 5 seconds after looking at my pile of wood I saw a little piece of thin plywood stuff that is perfect for the bottom of a tray. I didn’t know I had any of it left! Ah ha… I’ll make a tray to hold papers.
I decided that my collection of tongue and groove pine would make good sides and could even be used to stack one on top of the other if I wanted to do that. (Even though the pine isn’t their style, the piece would be functional and made by mom.. so they would have to just like it! haha)
The tray went together so quickly I wasn’t even going to post a picture or write-up about it. but then I realized that this achievement (the ease of making it) is something to celebrate. I’ve reached a new milestone in my learning curve. I knew what I was doing.
At first I was just going to put a bottom on the tray but then decided that if i used the pine “as is” I could make a shelf in it and leave room underneath for sliding other material. Perfect.
I cut the plywood to fit a standard piece of paper, with room for fingers to access the material. I then cut the two sides to length.
I used the mitre saw to cut the dadoes/grooves into the sides—AND I used a trick that I saw here at LJ to make sure they were cut at the same height. I clamped a piece of wood to the back rail of my mitre saw which created a block for my wood piece to sit up against. Perfect.
I then used my $1 Store chisel to chip out the centre piece of wood left after the two cuts by the saw. And then I used my router plane to smooth out the dado/groove. Perfect again.
I glued and clamped the sides to the plywood (NOTE: I have to buy more clamps. I only have two “large” clamps that aren’t large enough for length clamping, and two “smaller” clamps that are .. well.. smaller… )
After clamping the sides, I measured and cut a piece to go along the back. And, since the pine already has a lacquer finish—I’m laughing! I’m done.
(Pictures to follow—after the gift recipients have left the house).
-- ~ Debbie, Canada (http://www.execulink.com/~yohan)