After being inspired by some beautiful scrollsaw work recently, I thought it was time I did a little practicing at my scroll saw.
I purchased some 1/4” thick poplar—I didn’t want to use pine because it is so fragile and I didn’t want to use walnut for two reasons: 1) it is too hard and 2) After sacrificing some walnut to make my snowman bottle holder I didn’t think I dare sacrifice some more in order to “practice”.
I put tape on the board and glued the patterns to the tape.
I then cut out the squares using the blade (not sure what type it was) that was already in the machine. I found that I could zip along quite quickly with this wood and the blade that was in it. No big dilemmas with this step -that’s a good thing.
Next I drilled a hole in each of the letter sections and using a smaller blade (after the first one gave up the ghost) I found that a slower speed worked quite well with this step. Again, not too much troubles. There were a couple spots that the blade tried to avoid following the line, and the font used wasn’t big enough for the drill bit I used (no.. it wasn’t that I used too big of a drill bit… trying to think positive here!!) and so I included the circles into the font style as much as possible. If I were to do this again I’d choose that font with the circles on the edges.
I then sanded the front/back with the belt sander and then used my Dremel to sand the edges of the stars.
And there we have it: a star for each of my family members.(not all shown in this photo). No stain or anything on them yet. Haven’t decided what I’ll use yet.
-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)