My daughter’s birthday is fast approaching and I have had several ideas in the past month of what to make for her. I have gone from simple, to complicated, and now .. it’s somewhere in the middle.
Actually, since it will be a variation of the Challenge Table, it really should fall into the easy category but I’m not that naive or confident to think that I will whip this together with a frustration and challenge or two.
The first difficulty was deciding what to make it out of. Although she loves my rustic stuff that I have been making I know that her primary decorating taste is modern – with the black wood and clean lines. The other factor in this is that their current bed is pine. So do I go with pine and have it match now, or do I go with the more modern look and hope that they will buy a matching bed someday??
Option 1: use pine and keep it natural
Option 2: use pine and paint it
Option 3: use walnut.
I chose to use walnut.
I had originally thought that I would make it 12” square and just buy some lumber 12” wide. But alas, I ended up with some cheaper pieces that were about 4” wide and would need to be joined together.
I first ran the wood through the planer and jointer. I’ve used the planer before so that wasn’t a problem but the jointer was a first and no one around to give me tips. (Ok. so I could have gone back to TheWoodWhisperer’s Podcast and I think Giz. has done a blog on this as well .. forgive me if I have gotten the wrong name)... anway, I chose to “just do it” and I have no idea if I got it right.
Next step was to figure out what size the pieces would need to be to use my wood the most efficiently as well as try and get the pieces looking good. I spent a lot of time with pencil and paper laying out the plan. I think I did good. ... we’ll see.
With pieces cut (hopefully to correct size) it was time to put the pieces together.
TA DA .. it’s DOWELMAX time !!! :)
Well this turned out to be the easy part (after I got the drill bit set up to the right height… somebody had been experimenting!!!) It was a matter of MARK IT (learned that lesson last time)... and zip, zip, zip… everything lined up beautifully and I now have the table top and two shelves ready to go.
Now I have to wait for legs—that involves the table saw. Rick’s department!
I’m thinking that this table might just look pretty good when it is finished. You will know—if it looks good, you will see part two of this blog. If it doesn’t… well… we’ll just let this drift off into LJ la-la-land.
-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)