This morning I cut and drilled the wheel trim pieces.
Looking at the 3/8” square cuts I thought that I would try not using the scroll saw. So I dug out my 3/8” hollow mortising chisel and took the auger out. Using a soft blow mallet I tried chopping out the squares.
It didn’t work. There was a lot of tear out on the back side. Four more photocopies, more drilling and on to the scroll saw.
I used diagonal cutters to shorten the 5/32” axle pins to a little over 1/8”.
Then they were glued into the wheel trim pieces and sanded flat on the back
Then the trim and trim spacer were glued on to the wheel assemblies using a 7/32” axle pin.
After cutting 5/16” axle pins to 1 1/2” long I glued the wheel assemblies to the tender base.
-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.