I made a tool box that will go on the base between the boiler and the cowcatcher.
The plan calls for 7/8” X 5/8” X 1 5/8” with a peaked top and a 1/16” saw kerf to simulate the dividing line. I have never had much luck using a saw kerf as a dividing line, so I made 2 pieces 7/16” X 5/8” X 1 5/8”. I sanded the peak on the belt sander. Then sanded a small round over where the 2 pieces would meet then glued them together.
We now move on to page 7 of the plan. We’re building the tender. I cut a 1/2” piece of black walnut to 8 1/4” X 4 1/2” and drilled two 5/16” by 7/16” deep holes as indicated by the plan.
I only have a short piece of 3/4“maple 2” wide and am hoping to get four parts out of it so I cut all the pieces for the engine coupler and car coupler assemblies.
I did the layout on these all at the same time. I had made a coupler template when I was doing the rolling stock. Though the overall dimensions are slightly different I traced the coupler on its piece.
I drilled all the holes needed before cutting out the couplers.
-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.