I started this morning by cutting some 5/16” and 3/8” black walnut big enough to get 2 pieces for each plus a finger saver added to the length.
These have dados cut so that there is 1/8” material left.
The picture shows one of them cut to length. The other has the finger save left on.
They were then ripped to 5/16” wide to create the connecting rod and wheel linkage.
I created a piece of stock 7/8” X 3/8”much longer than I actually needed to make 2 piston connectors.
I cut a 1/8” wide by 3/4” in each end.
Next I cut and sanded a 3/4” X 3/8” notch on both ends.
At this point I drilled a 5/32” hole before I cut it shorter.
I then cut each end off at 1 1/2” and set up to drill a 5/32” and 1/8” hole in the ends.
I marked the connecting rod and wheel linkage to drill their 3/16” holes.
The finished pieces.
Next I dry fit an end cap on each end of a long piece of 3/16” dowel and marked the dowel at the cap. I then cut the dowel in half. I chucked one piece in the drill press and with a file turned the 3/16” dowel to 5/32” leaving the cap end at 3/16”.
I then cut them to length and glued the end cap on. This pin is needed to connect the connecting rod and the wheel linkage to the wheel. They don’t manufacture a 5/32” axle pin long enough.
A dry fit to check that things don’t bind. I found that the dowel on the piston connector had to be shortened by about 3/16”. That would be the dowel that goes into the cylinder from the connector.
Glue the cylinders to the mount and both to the base.
After dinner I’ll take these clamps off. Then glue the boiler and cabin on the base and leave everything dry over night.
-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.