The counterweights mentioned in the last installment were done the same way as the cowcatcher parts. Substituting a spindle sander for the belt sander to sand the inside arc. They were centered on the wheel across from the small hole and glued. I also glued one wheel on each axle.
I photocopied the bell bracket and glued it to a piece of 1/4” walnut.
I cut and sanded part way down the piece on the outside line each side. Then using my jewelers drill I eyeballed the spot for the bell support rod and drilled a hole on each side past the inside line. Then bandsawed and sanded the inside of the bracket.
I used numbered drill bits to sneak up on the 3/32” hole that I needed. The jewelers drill will only hold a #46 bit; I need to get to #40/ 3/32”. For the larger bits I chucked the bit in my cordless drill and turned the piece rather than squeezing the trigger. I also drilled a hole in the bell which I had turned earlier.
Using a round toothpick I checked for fit. FYI: a round toothpick is very close to 3/32”.
Using the same drilling technique, I drilled the hole in the base.
Then I carefully sanded everything to 220. Next the very small rings for the bell support rod. I’m sure there are other ways to do this but I carefully drilled the end of a piece of 3/16” dowel and cut a couple of short pieces off.
After the dry fit; I glued the outside ends of the bell support rod.
The last piece on page 3 of the plan is the headlamp. Its just a 1” X 1” X 3/4” block with a 3/4” X ½” deep hole, a 1 ¼” X 1 1/8” X 1/8” thick, a 1/2” X 3/4” X 1/16”, 2@ 3/8” X 1/2” X 1/16”, the piece we made in part 3, and a headlight from the parts kit.
Just glue them together following the plan.
That is page 2 and 3 of the plan finished.
-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.