Today is Biker Betty’s birthday. She and her SO are coming to dinner so I only have the morning to work in the shop.
I have a box with pieces of left over stock that I used for my other train projects.
Looking through it I realized that I didn’t have any 3/8” material that I was going to need soon. I decided that I had better go over the plans again and check that I had enough of the other thicknesses that I’m going to need; I didn’t. I picked a few of the longer pieces of stock that were close to what I would need and spent an hour with the planer (1/16”, 1/8”, 1/4” and 3/8”).
Now back to page 3 of the plans. I need 2 pieces 1 5/16” thick. One 2” X 3”, the other 2” X 1 5/8”. I took pictures of the process, but decided not to post them. They are now deleted. I will show you the end result along with the push sticks that I used. Enough said.
The inverted “T” shaped one (front wheel assembly) needs a cove cut (sanded) into it. The wonky shaped one (rear wheel assembly) needs 45° angles cut on the top of each side and both need to be drilled for the axles. I managed to get the layouts for the 45’s and the holes done before I had to pack it in. I managed to get back in the shop for a few minutes before the kids arrived so I finished of the wheel assemblies except for the cove on the front one.
-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.