I’ve jumped to page 5 of the plans for 2 reasons. First reason and most important, I felt like doing some lathe work. Secondly some of the next parts have to be fitted between the base and the boiler.
Now I should point out that I’m not an expert on the lathe. I’ve never had any instruction, just read a couple of books, watched Norm Abram and Tim Yoder on TV.
I managed to turn 3 of the 4 glue-ups without incidence. On the 4th I was tired or over confident I’m not sure, but I got a catch and destroyed the piece. At this point I should have walked away and returned the next day; I didn’t. I decided to cut and glue a new piece and leave it in clamps overnight. The next morning I put the piece on the lathe and started turning. It wasn’t long before I noticed a problem. I had used the wrong dimensions. The part was much too big.
Cut and glue a new piece.
Wanting to be in the shop, I started to work on the boiler. The jig to hold the turned boiler is shown in the plans. The pictures should explain its use. The turning is screwed into the jig and the index marks are lined up as needed. The whole thing is put on its side and run part way through the TS to flatten part of the bottom.
Saw guard removed for picture clarity.
My lathe has an indexed head at 15° increments so I marked the boiler at the needed angles. Taking 0° as top centre of the boiler I needed 60° and 90° each side. The jig is marked 0° at the top and at 90° each side. The holes were drilled without incidence.
I finished the last turned piece.
Here are the other turnings.
-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.