Note: Don’t miss the link to the video at the bottom of the post!
The final steps happened in a blur over the Easter weekend. The big reveal was pushed back to Easter day, 4/5/15 and because of the reprieve I did what I always do: procrastinate. So while the photos in this post are sparse the payoff will make it worthwhile.
Using my Shopsmith bandsaw I resawed a 22” length of 2X4 and freehand drew a capital “I”, “V” and “X”. Drawing isn’t a skill that I was blessed with, so I was thankful to be using Roman numerals. After a quick count I was surprised to learn how many time the number “I” appears on a clock dial. Can you guess without looking? I traced these onto the pieces of resawn pine and cut them out on my bandsaw and gave them a couple quick coats of paint.
Fortunately I happened to have a paper dial laying around, so I cut a hole through the center and taped it to my large dial and using my compass to extend the lines to the “number ring” area of the dial. Again I used the Titebond HiPur hot melt to tack the numbers in place, and if any of them ever spring loose I’ll tack them all with my 23Ga pinner for good measure.
As almost an afterthought I did a quick angled rip on my bandsaw on a 2X4 to serve as a cleat for mounting the clock, and I used liquid Nails and a couple TapCon scews to hold the lower cleat in place on the wall and gave it a few hours to cure.
After trying to lift the behemoth myself i called my son “Boy” to my shop and we lifted her into place and recorded the following video. Please note that the next and final post will contain a video that explains how the clock functions.