Even though everything was to be rustic the hands needed a little sanding, so after 15+ years of resting I finally broke-out my Shopsmith Strip Sander, which made quick work of the job. I don’t know why I don’t reach for this tool more often because it was perfect for the task.
With the hands cut and sanded smooth (ish) the next task was to substantially lighten them. I did this by using a Forstner bit on my Shopsmith drill press.
The next thing that had to happen was to shorten the tobacco tins to their final size. This was so easy that one got away from me and just about ruined a Timberwolf blade. Just goes to show you not to get too comfortable and complacent.
There wasn’t much to remove, but without this reduction the hands would have to be mounted much farther apart to allow them to pass one another.
I attached the tins to the hands using Titebond HiPUR hot melt polyurethane adhesive, which was a life saver on much of this build. Finally the hands were painted a satin black.
The lids to the tins also needed to be painted, and because they are plastic I had to do a little research to find the best choice of paint. I discovered Krylon Fusion, which will bond to the plastic and can be used on the wood parts too.