With the back and the frame finished it’s time to attach the dial. The slats needed to be cut so that together they will produce a round dial, so I attached them to the back temporarily with double-sided tape and with a make-shift compass drew a circle on their face.
From there they were removed and individually cut to length on the bandsaw and attached to the plywood using wood glue, hot melt glue. Or so I thought. Some of the slats had developed crazy crooks and bows, and the hot melt was being overwhelmed, so I added a few 23Ga pins to the wild ones, which seemed to tame them.
After waiting for the oversized 8mm dowel and turned out that it wasn’t going to be long enough after all, so in the end I wound-up using an off the shelf carriage bolt from our local Ace Hardware Store. I mounted it from behind the panel and test fit the bearings with a few washers and nuts for proper spacing.
Next came the hands. I used an aspen board and after marking the length from the tip to the center I guesstimated the additional length that would be needed for the counterbalance. After considering and dismissing the use of PVC pipe for my counterbalance I settled upon Sutliff pipe tobacco tins, which are abundant in my shop. I traced one on the counterweight end of each hand and then cut the hands from the board using my Shopsmith bandsaw. The hands were drilled with my new 22mm Forstner bit, which proved to be horribly oversized for what I was hoping would be a snug fit, but they’ll work with a little hot melt glue to secure them. These were fit on the arbor and given a little spin for fun.