After torching and wire brushing the wood slats that will make-up the dial I decided to paint them black. Yes, that’s on odd choice, but since the final effect is an aged patina I’m going to apply a crackled antique white as the final finish and I realized that there just wasn’t going to be enough contrast without adding black.
Next I had the wrestle the 5’ X 5’ sheet of Baltic Birch ply up onto a Shopsmith Mark V that served as a make-shift assembly table. This backer board was painted green in the areas where the dial doesn’t cover. Man, that stuff sucks paint!
I liked the looks of the charred wood so much that I decided to reprise it on my 2X4 frame pieces. The process of adding the 2X4 frame to the board began with the realization that I don’t have many long clamps. In the end I wound up using one 6’ pipe clamp and several K-Body clamps which were clamped to one another.
After flipping the board over and examining the results I realized that something was missing, and after a few quick rips on the Shopsmith bandsaw I had some trim to add to the frame.
I like how this is going. Next step; add the dial.