LumberJocks

Coffee Table - Red Oak & Padauk

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mosquito updated 05-10-2012 01:36 PM 4 parts 6346 reads 11 comments total

Part 1: Table Top

04-16-2012 03:50 PM by Mosquito | 2 comments »

I’m in the process of building a coffee table for my apartment. I’m using Red Oak and Padauk for this. It’s going to be a relatively basic basic table. It was an extremely nice day for this in March. Yes, I started this in March… outside… in shorts… in MN… did I mention my distaste for this “winter”? Anyway, I started by using my [home made] router table to shave a pair of 3/4×11.25” boards down to 11” wide to use ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Legs and Apron

04-16-2012 05:44 PM by Mosquito | 2 comments »

I’m back! I got another days worth of work done on Saturday, while the weather was nice I cut the legs from oak 4×4’s using a handsaw: I cut all 4 legs, then I used my router to make part of the tenons on the Apron boards: This was messy… And it looked like I was eating Cheetos all day and wiping my hands on my shorts: My first Mortice and Tenon! Not the best, but it’s at least a decent flat fit All the tenons are done, and 2 legs have the Mor...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Legs and Apron Completed

05-01-2012 05:58 PM by Mosquito | 4 comments »

Right, just realized I have more pictures and work done, and haven’t updated this yet… Not a whole lot of an update I guess. I was able to finish the mortises in the legs, and got some pocket hole screws drilled and fastened the legs and apron pieces together. I also used my restored #7c to take off an inch of the width on the table top, to get it down to the correct width, and then cut an inch or so off the end (crosscut). I don’t have a picture of it, but I also put a c...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Build complete

05-10-2012 01:36 PM by Mosquito | 3 comments »

Last weekend I was able to complete the coffee table, apart from finishing it. I put a bevel on the top and bottom corners of the table top, as well as a slight bevel on all the way around the legs, and on the bottom edges of the apron. As per a recommendation from someone on my last blog entry, I also put a decently heavy bevel on the leg bottoms, to try to avoid splintering. I attached the top with table top fasteners and cut the slots for them with my biscuit joiner. Cat ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase