Got some work done on this over the past few days and weekend.
The tote isn’t 100% done yet, but I got excited and wanted to share :-D
Bought a 1-1/8” piece of hard maple off of eBay for a few bucks, intended use for the tote, and got it planed down to about 1” thick (had to remove the heavy kerf marks on it.
Had a little surprise at this point, Birdseye… huh
Drew out the rough sketch of what I was going for, then cut it out
Drilled a couple holes for the “corners” of the inside and used the fret saw to cut out most of the waste
Did the same for the back of the tote, got that cleaned up a little, and began shaping
And shaping of the handle is done :-) I think if I continue to make wooden handplanes, or totes by hand, I’ll probably have to invest in a handle makers rasp. It was somewhat of a pain to try to do the inside rounds with a straight file/rasp. I put a few dents in the front of my workbench in the process
Then, it came time to make the mortise for the tote to sit in, and be glued in to.
The tote is about 1” wide. At this point I wished I had a 7/8” forstner bit instead of the 3/4” bit I was using. Oh well, I have more time to sneak up on it this way lol
Drilled out the bulk of the waste
This is the part where progress was made, but pictures weren’t taken lol I cleaned it up with chisels by paring away the excess waste, until it was about the right size. In some of the pictures going forward, you’ll see a scrap piece of oak 2×4 (1.5×3.5) piece in the background. I used this piece and clamped it to the plane along the line to pare to, which helped keep the line straight, and the side perpendicular. This after the other side started going a little off perpendicular.
I intentionally left the wood on the bottom of the tote long, so I could plane it down to whatever height to sit where I wanted it to. I’m about as far down as I can get with my router plane, so I guess we’ll call it good at about 1-1/8”
I spent about an hour at this point, filing, sanding, paring, and finessing the fit, but it fits pretty snug
Had to make some shavings at this point… the tote fits snug enough to allow me to use it, and even pick it up
And some face planing, for full width shavings. It doesn’t do this as well, but I’m thinking that may be to do with the legs of the wedge causing the shaving to be deflected inwards
Next up, will be the final shaping of the tote. I need to do a little more shaping on the front of the tote, so it’s not just an angle down. Right now the iron is right up against it, and although I don’t think it’s causing it to be raised off the bed, I don’t like it, and it makes adjusting the iron more difficult. Then I’ll ease the back of the tote into the bed of the plane a little better, and do the final sanding of that. Then need to cut it to length, and do something about the blow out in front of the mouth.
‘Til next time, thanks for checking it out :-)
-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods