Relatively quick turn around. This weekend was a busy one.
First thing I worked on after getting the screw and hub assembled for the wagon vise, was getting the endcaps drilled and bolted on the bench
1/2” bolts, counterbored into the endcaps
with a nut and washer on the underside.
Single 4” bolt on the wagon vise end due to width restrictions, and and double bolt on the leg vise end. Double bolt because I couldn’t get the 4 1/2” bolt back too far due to the leg tenon being there, so I ended up using a 3” bolt on the back. I decided on this because I didn’t like the pivot point being so far forward when I’m going to be having a tool well hanging off of it.
With that done, I decided I’d flatten the top a little bit. Jack, Jointer, and Smoother (using my #5 1/2)
With that done, I turned my attention back to the wagon vise. I had drilled the hole for the handle, and was going to wait until I could use my powered miter saw to cut the hub to length. Somewhere along the line I decided “What the heck, let’s go for it”. So I decided to give it a shot by hand first. I think it actually went better than I was expecting. I’m glad I did :-)
Then I made the garter plate for it. I made it out of 1/2” oak. I used a 2 1/8” forstner bit about 1/4” deep to come up around the hub a bit, and a 1 1/4” to go the rest of the way through. Then I cut it in half with my handsaw. Drilled, and countersunk, and chamfered the edges.
I drilled 2 of the dog holes last night, which means the wagon is now functional :-)
Tonight I drilled the rest of the dog holes. They’re all 4” apart, and there’s 5” of travel with the wagon vise.
I also took a video of the wagon vise in operation. I was actually relatively surprised at how well it worked. Most of the noise is the handle rattling in the hub.
-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods