So, as promised (though maybe a bit later than I had hoped)...
Here’s another image of the plans I’ve got set forth. This still isn’t 100% set in stone yet, and probably won’t be, until I cut the joinery in the top for the legs. Thumb is a link to the larger version
Right, with that out of the way, two things were certain. The size of the slab/top, and the length/geometry of the legs. So I have at least started that much.
Cleaning up the face edge of the slab with my #4 1/2. It was a 12/4 slab of red oak that was 4’ long and a little over 9” wide. It was planed to 2.75” thick when I got it.
Then, I took to cutting the top to width. When I got it, it was around 9.5” wide on one side, and 9.75” on the other. So I used a straight edge guide and made 3 passes with the circular saw, lowering it more each time.
The problem I ran into, however, was that with the straight edge guide, the motor bottomed out on it before it was able to cut all the way through. Even with out the straight edge guide, I would have been a little shy of making it all the way through. With the guide, I was about 1” shallow.
So… I gave myself a bit of a work out…
Cleaned that up with the #7 followed by the #5 1/2 as the smoother. I must say, I really liked the #5 1/2 for this…
I also started on the legs as well. The legs were cut from oak 2×4’s and a 2×6 for front left leg, which I wanted wider for the leg vise.
I had taped over the joints to protect my clamps from the squeeze out, but that left a mess on the leg…
So with a combination of #75 for cleaning off most of the thick glue, a #7 to make it flat, and the #5 1/2 again to smooth it out, I took care of that problem…
These are the two front legs
Now, this is where the picture taking takes a bit of a bad turn… Here I also have glued up the back two legs, cut the end caps, tool well back piece, and the front apron, and cut the legs to size. I skipped a few steps as far as pictures are concerned, but I’m sure we’ve all seen a miter saw in action :-)
The Maple is for the end caps, and tool tray back, and the oak on the left is the front section, that will go in the notch of the legs.
This fuzzy cellphone picture shows about what the top will look like (though it will obviously all be flush.
The back legs are cut to 75 degrees. After I cut one end, I decided it didn’t look quite large enough, so I had to second guess myself, and re-measure. Good thing I did. Both the back legs were about 1” too short. You can see some of the lines that I didn’t cut (thankfully) in this picture as well.
That is all I’ve got for now, thanks for checking it out!
-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods