I just realized I went through a whole phase, and forgot to post anything. I hired I guy with a track-hoe (aka excavator) to come in and make a mess of the forest floor (to compliment what Irene did to the forest canopy). His equipment is BIG and expensive. So he is not cheap. But wow! huge logs weighing 2000 lbs are easily moved from here to there as if they were match sticks.
At the end of two and half days I have 36 logs. More red oak than I thought and less other. I have painted all the ends with an exterior primer to seal them. I’m planning to paint each species a different color. So the red oak will be white, white oak probably orange (because I got a gallon of “oops” for $7), and I’m thinking I’ll color code any quarter-sawn logs specially. The problem is, the wood will probably end up mixed once it’s stickered and stacked. So by color-coding the ends I’ll be able to find what I need later. Maybe.
But today is sawmill day! More on that in the next post.
-- Some problems are best solved with an optimistic approach. Optimism shines a light on alternatives that are otherwise not visible.