I’ve completed the torsion box workbench top!
I milled the cherry boards using my jointer and planer and finished with a little hand-planing to remove the mill marks. I attached them using screws, keeping them flush with the top surface. Even so, I had to hand plane the cherry top in some places because it was a little higher than the table top.
I counter-sunk and counter-bore the screws, leaving a 3/8” diameter hole. I used a plug cutter to create some plugs from birch that also came from our property. It was straightforward to plug all the screw holes and then flush-saw and block-plane them smooth.
I took one last pass with the router and a chamfer bit to add about a 1/8” chamfer to the top edge of the cherry. I then did some hand sanding on all the cherry, up to 220. I rounded over all the edges so I won’t get cut or snag anything.
I did add a support leg near my vice since it’s very heavy and had bowed the previous top. I don’t think there’s any concern about bowing this time (torsion box!), but no harm adding an extra leg to help bear the weight on both sides of the vice.
I had an awesome time building this project and look forward to building future projects on it! Please leave me any comments, questions or thoughts. I’d love to hear from you especially if you have something like this or plan on making something similar.
-- Morton - http://workshop.scottmorton.com