No time limit on this post. So settle in.
A ‘shed of my dreams’ doesn’t mean I built a dream shed, just that I’ve dreamt of building a shed for some time.
Last New Year’s Eve, I again resolved to build a shed. My uncle and aunt agreed to come up and help.
I knew the fall would be best, so I randomly picked the second week of October. Over the summer, I picked away at clearing brush etc.
Prior to the crew arriving, I built the floor.
Mistake number 1 – trusting the plans I was following. After the floor frame was built, I realized that for the finished size to be 12×16, the stringers should have been trimmed. So my floor became 12×16 and 1 1/2 inches. Not the end of the world. Level and flat was good.
I also cut all the pieces for the trusses.
My aunt and uncle arrived on a Friday evening and by Saturday at 9 am (we all need coffee) we were building trusses. My husband helped with the trusses, but his main job during the build was to keep the kids fed, on track and out of the way.
Day 2 we framed and put up the walls. I had never done any framing before and really enjoyed it.
Day 3 we put up the trusses. There was a lot of figuring involved, and I had watched enough videos to make my eyes cross. I also had some great advice from my LJ buddies. My uncle had never built with trusses, but had used a ridge board. Once we had the end trusses in place, we fastened a scrap of wood at each peak and ran a string across to make sure the trusses would be lined up.
Day 4 we sheathed the roof and got one side tar papered. There aren’t many pictures because I was too busy holding on for dear life on the roof. The pitch of the roof is quite steep. When I had chosen it, I really hadn’t considered what it would be like to roof it.
There were a lot of trips to town to HD. I had tried to have all the supplies on hand, but I underestimated some things, and hadn’t considered some of the items we ended up using. My budget however was pretty accurate, because I knew to inflate it by 50%.
Day 5 was a loooooong day. We finished the tar paper and shingled the roof. My historical accuracy is now in question, because I thought we shingled over two days. Or maybe it just felt like two days. I’d be happy to never trim another shingle, or schlep them up the ladder ever again.
Day 6 rained as we started to install the panels. The peaks were challenging with the angles, but the walls went rather quickly. That’s where any deviation from square and level became very obvious.
No pictures whatsoever apparently. By the time I had the chance, it was dark.
Day 7 finished the panels, cut out the doors and window, put up the fascia board.
Day 8 my aunt and uncle went home and I somewhat returned to my usual home/work routine, putting in a few hours when I could. With 1 full week of rain, I started to worry about finishing before the snow flew. I had to trim the door openings, put up the soffit, trim on the corners and build two ramps.
I also had to call and nag (I’m qualified at that) about the garage doors so they would be installed on time.
With the forecast calling for snow this weekend, the push was on. I took a day off work and started painting and caulking on Friday. Today (Saturday) I was a maniac. I finished painting the panels. I stained the ramp and the floor frame and finished off the trim around the doors. I’m sure I went up and down the ladder at least 200 times.
At 3 pm I was done. I was covered in caulking and paint and completely ecstatic.
I spent about an hour just standing there, looking at it once the exterior was done.
I still have shelves to build, but I won’t have to race the weather for that.
I thought about building this shed for long time and it’s incredibly satisfying to look out my kitchen window and see it there.
And at 830pm tonight, it started to snow.
-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.