I’ve been banging around trying to make this pie safe since well before Mother’s Day. School has been the primary reason I haven’t finished it, so I thought maybe I’d blog about my adventure…
First off, I found a pie safe idea I liked on Google, in the SketchUp repository there. But I wanted to make a single door, so after getting a lot of Sketchup help from folks on Lumberjocks, I started with this…
The only measurement I had to work with was the printed length of the four side legs (4’ 10.5”). The cutlist plugin also gave me some length to work with.
The smartest thing I did was build the door first. Well, kinda, more on that later. I also cut the 6 legs also.
Messed up on the door. I didn’t make my own tin, bought it online (just don’t have the time right now!). Of course my window dimensions from the already built do didn’t match the tins I ordered. Hence the interior molding in the door windows you see.
I also built the side frames. Since I knew I needed 1/8” clearance around the door, I cut the top, top bottom drawer, and bottom rails and put the frame to gather.
BUT, I made another screw up. I didn’t plan my side panels properly, and had to come up with a plan to fix this. I am going to put floating, raised panels in the sides. Hence the slot cutter rabbits that I cut into the interior of the sides. (THANKS GUYS!).
Lastly, I am using antique pine I got from a neighbors barn. It’s somewhat fragile. The knots explode in the planer with some regularity. So I am repairing them as I go along. In this case I used as much of the knot as I could as filler also. After it dried I planed it flat.
After I get done I will paint in the rest of the knot before I finish the pie safe.
-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...