This cabinet was a build I auctioned for charity in 2014, I still have a few steps to finish it (Weekend Hobbyist). The winner on the auction took several months to decide what he wanted (what his wife wanted), and I am doing my best to impress him with a product that she will like. The woods used are black walnut and chestnut with ebony plugs accenting. The project is a kitchen cabinet with wine rack. I went from a catalogue picture with notes and suggestions from me to a final design, then started the fun. I had to wait over a 6 weeks for the wood to be purchased, the normal supplier was out of both walnut and chestnut. My first step on getting the walnut was to frame out the upper and lower cabinets. !https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nxvdw4t.jpg!
Next was book matched panels, these were tough because my only re-saw capability is a table saw, getting good book matches on figured lumber when you have to remove over 1/8” is a pain.
Then I framed and fitted the panels, I used 1/4 round chestnut to mount the panels
I used 1/2” ply for the back panels and vacuum pressed the book matched pieces to the ply then framed them out with walnut
Next I built the stand for the lower cabinet, it has a 1/4” lip the cabinet sits inside and a plywood support on the inside.
Finally I installed pillowed ebony plugs in all the square screw holes, just over 100 plugs in two sizes. Of course, when I counted the holes I miscounted large and small; so I had extra large and too few small when I went to install them.
Also the reason for the elongated plugs on the lower cabinet, to cover up a mistake I made.
The lower cabinet will also have small shelves that can slide out 8” to provide additional work area, these I veneered in Mappa with walnut edges.
Still to complete:
1. Two doors on the lower cabinet
2. Four shelves
3. Wine rack
4. Three pieces of Marble from a stone cutter down the street installed in the counter top.
5. Slide out shelves installed and drawers built and installed
6. Apply finish