LumberJocks

Turning project - Mother's day gifts

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Mike_D_S updated 05-07-2016 01:23 AM 4 parts 3342 reads 1 comment total

Part 1: Design and guide patterns

05-02-2016 02:14 AM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

I’ve been very much enjoying the lathe I got and seem to find any reason to make a piece of wood into a smaller round piece of wood. I was looking through lots of people’s projects, bowls, segmented bowls, vases, etc trying to find the next challenge for my lathe education. Then I remembered that Mother’s Day was coming up, so I decided to make some more decorative vases one each for the LOML, my mom and my mother in law. LOML wanted another piece like the one I just ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Blanks roughed out and first vase turned

05-02-2016 02:29 AM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

So I had picked up a nice piece of maple 4×4x8” and a rosewood block 4×8x8”. They are big enough to get these projects done, so I split the rosewood block into two 4×4x8” pieces on the bandsaw. I have some inexpensive HF turning tools I bought to get started and a few of the easy wood tools with the carbide tips. I had bought the Rikon low speed grinder that was on sale last month, but it as on backorder. It finally came in, so before I got started, I se...

Read this entry »


Part 3: A little delay, but two in finishing, one left to turn

05-05-2016 01:07 PM by Mike_D_S | 0 comments »

Got busy at work, but I did manage to get the first rosewood vase turned. Then I did quite a bit of sanding as I found the rosewood both easy to turn but prone to compression tool marks. So here is the rosewood vase roughed out in all it’s rough glory. After sanding it looks much better, so I also did the dye work on the maple vase. After the dye job, I moved on to initial finishing. A couple of coats of poly on they are starting to look half decent.

Read this entry »


Part 4: On the final stretch - two done and one in finishing

05-07-2016 01:23 AM by Mike_D_S | 1 comment »

I finished two of the vases with a few additional coats of poly and then two coats of gloss lacquer over the top. So the dyed maple vase for my wife is done and the rosewood piece for my mother in law. I also turned the vase for my mother and it turned out pretty well I think. I’m still learning to turn and sharpen my tools, so I had a couple of catches and a bit of tearout, but at the end I got it to a place I was happy with. I sanded it and got a couple of coats of poly on it to...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com