LumberJocks

Drill Press Station - Small Shop Challenge #3: A little progress and a delay

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mike_D_S posted 11-06-2016 03:46 PM 650 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Main parts cut and top glued and laminated Part 3 of Drill Press Station - Small Shop Challenge series Part 4: basically wrapped up »

Work has been crazy, so I haven’t made as much progress as I’d like. But I have gotten the drawer cabinet cases glued up on Friday. Yesterday, I laid out the positions of the drawer slides and installed the slide halves on the cases.

I also got the rear support leg glued up as well. I changed the design up a bit, adding a cross brace between the back leg and the backs of the cabinets. This will let me set the cabinets and back leg, then install the top without having to spend a lot of time messing around with keeping the back leg in the right position.

Last night after taking the measurements for the inside of the cabinet for the drawer widths, I started breaking down the sheet of 1/2” BB for the drawer parts. I got through about 3 or 4 cuts and then my table saw wouldn’t start.

Press the on button for the mag switch and the blade would rotate a couple of turns and then stop. Trying it 3 or 4 times and the blade wouldn’t even rotate at all. There was no humming or anything at all coming from the saw, so I started checking out the switch. Turns out one of the contacts on the hot side must have been arcing a little or making poor contact and got hot as the contact on that side was burned away and the traveling contact on that side was melted into the plastic shuttle.

So I’m sort of stuck on the drawers, I could keep going with the track saw and the compound miter, but I think I’m just going to put the drawers on the back burner and do them last. I ordered a new mag switch from Amazon and it’ll be here Tuesday night anyway.

I still have some finish work on the table top to round over the top corners and ease any other sharp edges to prevent splinters. Additionally, I can go ahead with the fitting of the top to the base cabinets. I was planning on setting the top then using small 3/4 ply plates screwed to the bottom of the top but inside the cabinet tops to lock the positions of everything. The idea was that with the plates mounted, I can place the base cabinets and back leg assembly. then when I install the top, the positioning plates will make sure everything is in place. Then I just need to run a few screws from the inside case sides into the adjacent positioning plate to lock everything together.

I may be able to go ahead and get the setup installed in the corner and just install the drawers later this week.

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com