I spent most of yesterday finishing up the outfeed table.
I started by making up a small alignment plate for the doghole drilling. The plate was basically two rows of dogholes in the spacing needed. I clamped the plate to the end of the top and drilled the first 8 holes. Then I slid the plate over one row and used some birch dowel through a couple of dogholes in the plate and the top to line up the second row to drill nd clamped the plate. Drill the next row, then repeat by indexing the new row of the last row drilled. They’re not perfectly straight, but close enough.
You’ll notice I left some space undrilled and this was two reasons. One, since this will be an outfeed table, I need to still route slots for the miter bar clearance for my sled, miter gauge, etc. Additionally, it’s likely I’ll get more sawdust from the saw in the area in line with and closer to the blade, so leaving more solid top should help with dust falling through the top. So I drilled one line of holes across the front and another line up the far side, but left most of that area solid.
After driling the dogholes, I used roundover bits to ease the corners (1/2”) and top edge (1/4”) and then with my small DW router and the plunge base I used a 1/8” roudover to ease the tops of all the dogholes. The top is still plenty stiff.
So here’s a shot of the top.
After finishing the top, I spent some time leveling the top of the base. For the base, I used 3” lag screws to tie the legs to the framing running left to right. For the cross members running front to back I used LV bed bolts. I backed off all the connectors just a bit and then leveled the frame top. After that was done, I installed the top to the frame using screws through upper frame parts.
After installing the top, I needed to level it up to the back of the saw with just a small 1/32 to 1/16” drop so nothing gets caught or lifted by the edge of the outfeed table coming off the saw. But before I did that, I spent some time checking and re-leveling the saw wings and router table extension. Once I was happy with the saw itself, I used my long level on the saw and raised the outfeed table to the correct height and alignment.
With the outfeed table basically done, I started working on the tool stations. I had already cut the parts when I was cutting the table parts, so I marked out all the hole locations and drilled them out on the drill press. The plan was to use a 3/8” bolt as the axles inside a piece of aluminium tube for the rotating piece and 3/8” threaded inserts in the other piece to receive the bolt. Both the outside ID of the AL tube and the threaded inserts was 1/2”, so I used a 1/2 forstner bit for all the holes. Then I rounded the end of the piece that rotates under the ply tool rest for clearance and assembled the tool stands.
Fitting the ends of the supports to make the tool stand tops level was a bit finicky and I had to take the support legs off several times to cut off more materials, but at the end they are good. For the lathe stand, I used metal latches into blocks to make sure the support legs couldn’t move. For the grinder stand, I just used notched lower legs.
So here are a couple of shots of the table with the stands up and the stands down and the tools stored. And then one more showing how I packed a bunch of stuff into the storage area. You notice I did make a mistake with the frame assembly and that the grinder station doesn’t fold down flush. It would have required fairly significant rework of the frame to fix, so I just left it for now. I have a couple of ideas about how to fit it, but I decided to just let it go for the time being to see if it really bothers me.
And one more of me using the table in anger for the first time.
-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......