So I got busy, but have been doing some work in bits and pieces. The first thing was normally I assemble and then stain, but with all the small ledges and the inset panels on the side, I decided to do some of the finish work first and then assemble. I stained all the pieces and put on two coats of wipe on poly on the inset panels. This way, if the panels shift a little at some point, there won’t be any unstained wood peaking out.
I also did a dry fit prior to putting on the dye stain and found my first real issue. Due to stock widths, the inset panels are actually 3/8” narrower than planned. Originally, the plans called for a 1/2 dado in the sides to hold the panels and provide plenty of glue area for the tenons for the top and bottom rails on the side. But because I’m a genius and forgot the inset panels were about 3/8” narrower, instead of cutting the dados in two passes, one 3/8” deep and then deepening the top and bottoms to the full 1/2” for the tenons, the inset panels can actually slide over enough to allow a small gap on one side. So I ripped some small strips and glued them into the dados with a few pin nails to hold them. Nobody will every know but me (and all of you I guess) but the fit is now perfect and the panels have just a tiny bit of wiggle room for expansion.
So here is a couple of shots of the parts with the dye stain on them. Sorry for the dark shot, but it was late.
Once the initial poly coats on the inset panels dried, I went ahead and did the glue ups on the case sides.
They are starting to look nice. You can’t really tell from the pics, but the small round over on the edges really makes a nice look. After letting the glue dry on the sides, I then went ahead and glued up the front and rear rails, being careful to keep the case straight and as square as I could get it.
Once I set that aside I started on the shelves. I had previously glued the shelves up, so I cut the to final length and width, then I notched the corners to sit in the case. I don’t have a pic, but previously I had drilled a few shelf pin holes in the leg interior for shelf supports.
Following the basic shelf sizing, I then was ready to do the waterfall on the shelf sides for the top two shelves. One of the things some of the bigger Greene and Greene bookcases have is a shelf where the front edge is thinned by cutting a waterfall detail on the bottom of the shelf front. This allows the use of a thick shelf for structural support, but provides a lighter more delicate look from the front of a thinner shelf. I rigged up my router table (see my other blog for my DIY table saw router extension which i recently finished) with a 1/4 round nose bit and cut two slots, one 1/8” deep about 2 1/2” back from the front and then a second 1/4” deep about 1 1/4” from the front. Then I installed a 1/2” spiral upcut bit and took out the wood to level out each part of the waterfall detail to the deepest part of the slots I made. This left a nice rounded detail at the transition and I broke the sharp edge with a sanding block by hand.
It’s not my best work, but it does have the desired effect of making the shelf look thinner and more delicate from the front. It’s kind of had to see in the front edge shot, but you can sort of tell the difference between the front of the shelf and the back of the shelf off to the side.
So after getting all this done, I started applying coats of poly. I’m planning on 4 coats of wipe on for the case and shelves, then I’ll give them a couple coats of lacquer to finish up. The two upper shelfs are supported by shelf pins and the lower shelf will sit on some ply runners for support. I’ll also install a couple of small rails for the top attachment using Z clips.
The next task is to finish up the top. I have the top glued up, but haven’t done the final sizing and fitting of the breadboard ends. Then I have to install the ebony details on the top and do the final finish. I’m hoping to be done this weekend.
Thanks for looking and the nice comments.
-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......