So yesterday was mostly detail work. I started out by making up a jig to help cut the Blacker style leg indents. The jig is simple and pretty close to other ones I’ve seen to do the same thing. I’m not sure how much I’ll re-use the jig, but the jig is sized for 1.75” legs and I added a few accessory pieces. One of them is 1/4” insert that can slide in the side of the jig allowing me to use it for 1.5” legs. The insert is basically just a 1/4” x 1 1/2” hardwood strip that I notched the top to ride on the jig top cross bars and then trimmed down with my block plane so that the top is flush with the jig.
The second thing I did was cut a couple of small spacer pieces about 4” long and 1 1/4” wide. On each end, I cut rabbets to various depths. By slipping the different spacers under the top of the jig, I can adjust the angle of the jig to increase and decrease the length of the indent for the same bit depth setting. This also made it very repeatable to set the jig when moving it as I just slide the jig up where it bottoms out on the leg bottom, then lift the top and insert the desired spacer, then clamp everything down. Once I was done with it, I just screwed the spacers and 1/4” insert to the side of the jig for storage so I don’t lose them.
Here’ a couple of shots of the jig in use, a freshly cut indent and then another shot of a couple of the legs after cleanup and sanding.
On a side note, I’m using Peruvian Alder for the bulk of the case, but they didn’t have any Peruvian Alder in 8/4, so I went with a piece of regular Alder that had similar grain to some of the P. Alder. But the regular Alder is very light colored compared to the P. Alder. So you’ll notice in the pic above, I gave the normal Alder a wash of thinned brown transtint dye in order to bring it closer to the base P. Alder.
After finishing the leg indents and cleaning up the legs, I started on the vertical divider for the side panels. I cut the side rails with cloud lifts on the outside and square shoulders on the inside as I thought the cloud lifts on the inside wouldn’t fit well with all the square corners from the shelf intersections and other pieces. So in order to fit the vertical dividers on the side panels, I needed to cut the tenons with different height shoulders on the front and back.
I did this work with a handsaw, chisel and shoulder plane and it turned out pretty good. After I did the initial fitting, I took the pieces and gave them all a pass over the router table to round over the visible edges and then did a test fit.
Following completion of the sides, I then did some prep work on the shelf and top glue ups. Mostly it involved getting out the card scraper, giving it a quick sharpening and then cleaning up the glue lines in preparation for running then through the drum sander to get the surfacing mostly done. Tomorrow I’ll run them through the drum sander and then cut them to final length and width before starting the work to attach the breadboard ends on the top and starting on the ebony splines and plugs.
So that was it for Saturday.
-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......