Homage to Trifern - attempting the 2 dye 4 vase #5: A few coats of finish on now, starting to take some shine

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mike_D_S posted 04-20-2016 02:45 AM 568 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Yellow makes the colors complete Part 5 of Homage to Trifern - attempting the 2 dye 4 vase series Part 6: Final finish and some decent pictures »

I gave the vase a couple of coats of ArmRSeal wipe on poly to get started on the finish work. There were a few surprises for me. One is how mush of the finish was pulled into the open grain sections. The poly soaked in and even just 0 or 15 seconds later it was almost like I hadn’t applied any poly at all. This is my first attempt at using an aniline dye, so I’m thinking that this may be normal since you don’t have the solids you normally would with a stain, so the pores are essentially still open. Makes me think I should have applied a seal or grain filler prior to applying the poly.

But I simply kept going and after 4 coats of poly it’s starting to build enough to make me think it’ll be ok in the end. Tonight I gave it a light once over with 320 to smooth the finish and once it was nice and smooth, I applied one more coat.

The pics below are with the finish still wet, so they are more glossy that the piece will be when dry, but I think they capture the look I’m going for which is the deep vibrant finish like Trifern get’s on his pieces.

I do have one lesson learned though. As I apply the finish, the black/dark areas are getting even darker. This is ok and I’m still happy with the piece, but I don’t have the visual impact and spread of colors that Trifern has in the 2 dye 4 piece. Next time I’ll spend more time wiping back the black and spend more time with the sanding after the black to open up some more area for color. My piece looks ok, but the top of the piece had a more open grain and when you are looking down on the piece, the dark area dominates. It’s only when you have it more or less even with the eye that the color really pops.

Since it’s going up on a shelf, it’ll display well I think, but I’ve made a note to myself to spend more time with the sand paper next time.

Anyway, here are some in progress pics with the last coat of finish freshly applied. The lighting in my garage is not great, but you get the overall look.

The next couple of pics look tilted, and that’s because they are sort of. For finishing, I have the piece mounted on my lazy susan table with a screw driven up through the lazy susan to hold the piece off the table so I can get a nice even wipe on the bottom edge. The screw is a little tilted, so the piece has a bit of a wobble as it rotates.

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics