After letting the red coat dry overnight, the vase had a bit of a scarlet overtone and I was starting to get a little worried that the I had cut the black back a little too much and the entire piece might turn out more too red. But after giving it the next round of sanding, there was quite a bit of the red dye sort of dried on top and after giving the whole piece a very light sanding, the red tone was much less noticeable.
The net step was to sand the highlights to open up some space for the yellow. I tried to follow the natural pattern of the light spots and added a few sort of artistic highlights where I thought they belonged. I finished the sanding and then wiped down the piece with a clean towel. The next step was to apply the yellow and after applying the yellow, the colors are really starting to come together. The red and yellow combined into a nice shading of light to dark oranges and the overall look is very nice.
I’ll give the dye time to dry fully and then give it a wipe down prior to starting the finish process. I like the way it looks now and I know that the finish will really help to add a vibrancy that it’s missing at the moment.
-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......