LumberJocks

Homage to Trifern - attempting the 2 dye 4 vase #2: Dyes mixed and first coat on

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Mike_D_S posted 04-16-2016 11:27 PM 543 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The basic turning Part 2 of Homage to Trifern - attempting the 2 dye 4 vase series Part 3: Time for red »

I picked up some black, red and yellow Transfast dyes and got them mixed last night. I also gave the amphora a wash down with water to raise the grain. I then gave it a quick hand sanding with a 320 pad and it ended up with a very silky soft feel.

Today I spent some time thinking about how I was going to do the actual dye work. One of the things I figured out right away was that with the shape being fairly top heavy and prone to tipping when handled, I needed some way to work with the vase without having to have my other hand on it all the time. So prepped a board with a screw through it and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the form. I wiped the black on the bottom of the form just to have some color on it and then screwed it onto the board.

One of the things I really love about Trifern’s work is the organic almost random nature of the color patterns. The particular vase from 2 dye 4 really looks like flame to me and there is a flow and smoothness to it. While I’m a fairly good craftsman and I can fake creative in a pinch, I’m not artistic. Trifern’s work to me qualifies as art and I have been dwelling a bit on how to achieve a similar look.

In my head, I was expecting to have to create the pattern starting with essentially a solid black canvas. I was thinking that the sanding was going to define the color patterns. So as I started the dye job, I was worried a bit about being able to get a nice pattern. With all that running through my mind, I went ahead and wiped on the black dye. I put on a pretty heavy wash of dye and then gave it a wipe with a paper towel soaked with fresh water as per Trifern’s method.

At this point, I had a big surprise. I had a terrible, horrible case of blotch. While this would normally have me using some choice words unsuitable for the polite company of Lumberjocks, in this case the blotch was actually a very pleasant surprise. I had been worried about defining the natural flow of the color and as I the blotch really started to emerge, I realized that all I really needed to do was sand along the blotching area, which already has a natural flow

So at this point, in the pics below you can see I’ve got the black on and wiped back. In the series of pics, I’ve rotated the amphora about 90 degrees between pics so the natural flow of the blotch is clear. The next step is to give it the rough sand and then put the red on.

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com